If you’re bored enough to be reading my blog, you should probably read a book instead. Here’s a list of good’uns. I’m giving them numbers, but that doesn’t really mean anything. I’ll give stars to let you know which ones rock the most socks. Go find’em!
1. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller – 4 Stars – a hilarious, absurd, scattered story about the only ‘sane’ guy in a world full of crazies. Sound relatable?
2. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal – Christopher Moore – 421 Stars – “Answers” the questions about what happened during those mysteriously unchronicled years of Jesus’ life. Hilarious, thought-provoking and offensive. Chris(not Michael) Moore at his very best.
3. The Croni-what?-cles of Narnia – C.S. Lewis – 4 Stars – Why not read them again? You know you want to. The Screwtape Letters are also pretty good and Mere Christianity is great if you like to argue with yourself people about religion.
4. The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver – 5 Stars – Really amazing book makes up for its predictability with some amazing characters and an amazing plot. Set mostly in Africa.
5. The Perks of Being A Wallflower – Stephen Chbosky – 5 Stars – Short and simple, but packs a punch. Lots of great quotes in this book.
6. The Life of Pi – Yann Martel – 4.5 Stars – This book throws you on your face. It gets a little boring in some parts, but makes up for it with an awesome and unique story that gets you thinking.
7. The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini – 4 Stars – Khaled creates the most vivid, dynamic and believable characters that you’ll love and hate all at once. A Thousand Splendid Suns is also pretty good.
8. Hey Nostradamus! – Douglas Coupland – 3 Stars – Interesting way to tell a story that threads tragedy with an optimistic look at faith. Could Rate it higher if it weren’t so sad.
9. The Unlikely Disciple – Kevin Roose – 3.5 Stars – A level-headed perspective of the evangelical christian world from a kid who sneaks into Jerry Falwell’s Liberty College. Great book, but a bit redundant at times.
10. Three Cups of Tea – Greg Mortenson and Some Other Guy – 5 Stars – If i’m ever half as cool as Greg Mortenson I’ll be able to die happy some day. Read this book and this guy can be your hero, too.
I’ll Update this List with more books from time to time, with other books i like or books I’m reading in Africa.